A Non-Profit Organization
Welcome aboard !
CLG 4 / CG 4
CLG 4 / CG 4
On January 13, 1957, the U.S.S. Little Rock arrived at the New York Shipbuilding Corp. in Camden, NJ for conversion to a guided missile cruiser. Her hull designation was changed from CL 92 to CLG 4 on May 23, 1957.
Following conversion, the Little Rock arrived at the Philadelphia Naval Shipyard on May 6, 1960 and was commissioned on June 3, 1960. Senator J. William Fulbright (D-AR), gave the principal address to a crowd of more than 2,000 people. Little Rock was placed into commission by Rear Admiral Charles H. Lyman, Commandant of the Fourth Naval District, and Captain J.O. Phillips, Jr. assumed command.
The Little Rock, now "converted" to
a missile cruiser had had all her guns removed except for a triple 6"
and a double 5" mount, both forward. The conversion also included
adding spacious "flag" accommodations which would provide for several
admirals during Little Rock's second life.
During the next sixteen years, under the command of no less than fourteen skippers, the Little Rock
would distinguish herself as a peacetime naval vessel.
Departing Philadelphia 9 February 1961, Little Rock sailed for her first European cruise in her new role. After 6 months operating with the 6th Fleet and NATO units, the guided-missile cruiser returned to Norfolk in September.
While operating in the Caribbean, 18 November
1961, Little Rock was ordered to the waters off Santo Domingo
to provide an element of stability during the uncertainty and unrest
which plagued that country as rival factions vied to fill
the political vacuum created by the assassination of Trujillo.
During the first part of 1962 Little Rock
operated out of Norfolk, visiting the Caribbean, Bermuda, and various
ports on the East Coast. Entering drydock at Portsmouth, VA in March,
she spent the remainder of the year in Portsmouth.
For the next 4 years Little Rock annually sailed to the Mediterranean, joining the mighty 6th Fleet, serving as its flagship in 1963, as it maintained the peace in southern Europe and the Middle East. During the months between deployments to the Mediterranean, she operated off the East Coast, in the Caribbean, and off northern Europe with units of NATO countries.
Remaining on the East Coast during 1966 for
overhaul and refresher training, she resumed a schedule of annual
rotation to the Mediterranean in January 1967. Little Rock
acted as COMSIXTHFLT, home ported in Gaeta, Italy,
to 1970, and from 1973 to 1976. In June 1975, in keeping with the
Navy's change of ship designations, Little Rock became
To see a list of places the ship and crew of
CLG 4 / CG 4 visited go to the "Places visited by
the U.S.S. Little Rock..." page.
|Click here to go to
U.S.S. Little Rock's
Chronological History Page